Friday, May 02, 2008


My dear friends, it is with a very heavy heart that I share the news that Barbara Bradley passed away this afternoon. I am reminded of a quote that I read at the house of an acquaintance of mine, "When someone you love love becomes a memory, memory becomes treasure". We who knew and were loved as students and friends by Barbara are rich in treasure, indeed. Rich with wisdom, rich with her nurturing and memory, and rich with our lives as artists and illustrators that her enthusiasm and instruction so helped make happen. News of memorials will be upcoming as plans firm up. My heart and deepest sympathy are with her family, her many friends, and with all of us, her "chickens" that I know she loved with a deep and abiding motherly passion.

INFORMATION UPDATE ON THE MEMORIAL:Dear Friends of Barbara Bradley,

We promised to give you an update as we learned more information about the sad news regarding Barbara. It is with deep sorrow that we announce that Barbara's husband, Neal Bradley, passed away as a result of the same unfortunate automobile accident that took Barbara's life. A private service will be held for the family.

There will be a memorial service for Barbara's extended family: former students, colleagues and many friends.

Memorial Service for Barbara Bradley
2151 Van Ness Avenue at Broadway
Former St. Brigid's Church
San Francisco, California
Thursday, June 5, 2008
7 o'clock pm

Many of you have asked about cards, flowers and donations. The family expresses their deep thanks. A scholarship has been set up by the Academy of Art University and donations may be made to the Barbara Bradley Scholarship Fund. Contributions made will be matched by the Academy of Art University. If you wish to donate, please make your check payable to Academy of Art Foundation.

Mail to:
Barbara Bradley Scholarship Fund

c/o Academy of Art University
79 New Montgomery
San Francisco, California 94105
A blog was set up last year by friends of Barbara to commemorate her receipt of the 2007 Distinguished Educator Award from the Society of Illustrators in New York. The blog, www.thankyoubarbarabradley.com has organically become something of a gathering place for remembrances, farewells, and notes to her children, Lauchlin, Glennis and Andy. Her daughter, Lauchlin, said yesterday in an email to me that she finds the notes comforting and "goes there often." The content of the blog will be compiled into a keepsake for the family.

Feel free to contact me or Marylou Domian (mdomian@williamsandhouse.com) if there is any way we can be of help to you.



Warmly,

Pam

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger C.B. Canga said...

i'm deeply saddened by this news.

do keep us updated.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Piya said...

Thank you for letting us know Chuck. I'll keep Barbara, her family and the Academy in my thoughts and prayers.

3:39 PM  
Blogger IRene said...

I suppose to go to her workshop next Sat.
She gave me the most special learning experience in my life. It's very sad and very hard to believe.

1:40 AM  
Blogger chuck pyle said...

we are arll pretty shocked and deeply sadened

1:44 PM  
Blogger Megan Crisp said...

Thanks for letting us know,Chuck. I am truly in shock and really saddened by this news- it's really hard to believe. She was a great teacher and taught me so much; she made me a better artist and I will always be indebted. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and everyone at the Academy.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Dan Cooney said...

Thank you for the update Chuck, if there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask. My heart goes out to you, her family, friends and everyone at the Academy.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Wendy Wright said...

My condolences are with the family and all of you at the Academy.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us know. Barbara was my first true mentor. I learned more my first drawing class with her than I'd learned my whole life about drawing and I quote her in my teachings all the time. How incredibly sad and unbelievable.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Constance McLennan said...

Even those of us long gone from the Academy feel the loss. I was surprised by a phone call from Barbara a few months ago, after I posted to her "thank you" site; we had a lovely, long conversation. I was glad for the chance to reminisce, let her know how much she meant to us--and to realize how much she cared about us in return.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear, Chuck, and thank you for the update. My condolences to you, and well wishes.

10:36 PM  
Blogger PaliWaliDoodle said...

I'm paralyzed! It's all a very bad dream! Please, please wake me up!!!

Paul Mica

4:27 AM  
Blogger Ryan McCulloch said...

I'm sorry to hear this, she left quite a legacy.

8:15 AM  
Blogger x said...

This is such a tremendous loss and I'm still in shock. It is a bad dream. I'm very saddened by this. She was such a wonderful person and a truly amazing illustrator. I'll never forget her.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Graham Ross said...

I was pretty sad to hear that she was gone on Friday Chuck. To those of you who are academy students, there's a collection of her best work which will be displayed in Bradley Hall starting this week.

6:22 PM  
Blogger chuck pyle said...

I am touched by your comments, everyone. It has been a hard day at the Academy as Barbara is the 540 Powell building and her presence permeates the place. I am told that memorial plans a shaping up and will be posted soon.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Betty Edwards said...

So sad, she was a master. She will be very missed..
thank you for letting us know Chuck, I know how much she meant to you.
Rest in Peace BB!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Macphisto said...

i'm truly sorry to hear this. my sympathies to her friends & family.

thank you for letting us know.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Macphisto said...

i wanted to write this on her farewell site. but had trouble signing in.

"my last memory of her on my first return to the academy to talk to students in bradley hall about my career. i was a little nervous, not sure about my place with the other lecturers.

but every time i was unsure about my words, i'd look to the left of the audience & see her nodding & smiling in agreement. it meant a lot to me. she gave me so much confidence.

i wanted to seek her after the lecture. to talk to her & get to know her more. to at least thank her & tell her how much i admired her work & that i regretted not taking her class.

i never did but was quite sure i'd still have the chance to do so some day. now i wish i told her all this on that very day.

my heart goes out to her friends & family."

10:31 AM  
Blogger Marco kunardi said...

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. even I, never talked to Barbara in person, but I saw her teaching the class with passion, such a rare gifted teacher in our school...

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home