Friday, April 04, 2008




A few more old drawings, reflecting my love of curves and also of direct drawing. The illustrator in me made me pop in the twenty under the model's hand. In retrospect, a bit silly on my part, but I did love the pose and the hand needed a point for being out there. This wonderful model long ago moved away to Alaska. Hard to be a figure model up in that latitude!
Done on Ingres drawing paper, and not just ANY Ingres, but Van Gelder Zonen Ingres, which is some of the best paper I have found. Sadly, I can't seem to find the brand anymore and I am looking! If you know a source for Van Gelder Zonen papers, let me know. The paper is just a bit softer and more receptive than the other makers' version.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Jim Yang said...

Love the way the shape of the fingers are held by the $20 bill.

Reaching for a 20 while sleeping naked... Hum...

2:29 PM  
Blogger chuck pyle said...

like I said, the idea was not necessarily a good one, just needed an illustrative touch....

12:58 PM  
Blogger x said...

i love the curves chuck. hmmm...curves... :) the back view of the woman in the first drawing is amazing.

2:18 PM  
Blogger david foldvari said...

I've only just discovered your blog - absolutely beautiful work, I've been an admirer for a long time.
all the best
David

11:32 AM  
Blogger Ryan McCulloch said...

Great stuff Chuck, I remember when I got to watch you draw this stuff in person. Though I never got to watch you render a $20 bill, something I will always regret.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Wendy Wright said...

Really gorgeous drawings. :)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Arthur said...

thanks for posting your in class drawings chuck, learning alot just by observing how you approach these!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Thanks for making us all look like chumps!

Yeah, I could do without the 2o, but it's a really lovely drawing! Everything about it. Reminds me a bit of Jerome Witkin.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Miwa and Mikael said...

I love the second one. Very elegant! I really miss spying on you while you draw.

10:56 AM  
Blogger chuck pyle said...

you may get your chance as one of my students has taken to minicam-ing my lectures and says that she will youtube them. YIKES! gotta watch my language.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Miwa and Mikael said...

Ha ha! That'll be really sweet. You should embed them into your blog when she does.(language^-^)

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home